ISLAMABAD: The death toll from a powerful explosion near Chaman Phatak railway area in Quetta has climbed to over 20, with more than 30 people injured, officials confirmed on Sunday.
The blast targeted a shuttle train heading towards Quetta Cantonment shortly after 8am, damaging multiple coaches and sparking fires in the vicinity.
Women and children were among those killed and wounded in the incident. Many passengers were reportedly family members of paramilitary personnel.
Balochistan Home Department spokesperson Babar Yousafzai said all relevant institutions have been placed on high alert following the explosion. Rescue teams, including Frontier Corps and local police, reached the site promptly.
Initial reports indicate the explosion occurred close to the railway track, derailing at least three coaches including the locomotive. Nearby vehicles and structures also sustained damage from the blast and subsequent fire.
The Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) claimed responsibility for the attack, describing it as a fidayeen operation targeting security personnel. Pakistani officials have rejected the claim and pointed towards external elements supporting terrorism in the province.
Medical sources at Quetta’s Civil Hospital and Bolan Medical Complex reported that several injured individuals remain in critical condition. The injured include both civilians and personnel from law enforcement agencies.
Security forces have cordoned off the area and launched a search operation for possible accomplices. Forensic teams are collecting evidence from the blast site to determine the exact nature and explosive yield used.
This incident marks the latest in a series of attacks in Balochistan, where insurgent groups have increased activities against security installations and infrastructure projects in recent months.
**Official Response** Prime Minister’s Office condemned the attack in strong terms, expressing condolences to the families of the deceased. Interior Minister stated that those responsible will be brought to justice and that no effort will be spared in maintaining peace in the province.
Balochistan Chief Minister conveyed his sympathies and directed authorities to provide immediate medical assistance and financial support to affected families. He announced an inquiry into the security lapse that allowed the attack near a sensitive railway route.
Military sources said rapid response teams have been deployed across key routes in Quetta to prevent follow-up incidents. Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) is expected to issue a detailed statement later.
**Key Figures** According to preliminary data shared by rescue officials, at least 16 bodies have been recovered so far. Over 30 injured were shifted to hospitals, with some estimates suggesting the injured figure could rise as more people seek treatment.
The shuttle train service connects Quetta Cantonment with the main railway station and often carries families along with personnel. Exact passenger count at the time of the blast is still being verified.
Balochistan has witnessed multiple such incidents in 2026. Earlier coordinated attacks in January and February resulted in significant casualties across several districts.
**Background Context** Chaman Phatak is a busy area near Quetta’s railway network, frequently used for both civilian and military-related movement. The region has seen repeated targeting by militant groups amid ongoing low-level insurgency in Balochistan.
The province, rich in minerals and strategically important due to its borders with Iran and Afghanistan, remains a focus of security operations. Development projects linked to the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) have also faced threats from separatist outfits.
Security analysts note that such attacks aim to disrupt normal life, create fear among civilians, and challenge state authority in the southwestern province.
**Reactions and Impact** Local residents expressed grief and called for enhanced security measures around public transport and residential areas. Markets in parts of Quetta observed a shutdown in protest against the incident.
Diplomatic circles in Islamabad viewed the attack as part of efforts to destabilise the region. Officials reiterated Pakistan’s resolve to counter terrorism irrespective of its origin.
The blast is likely to affect short-term movement on key railway lines in Balochistan. Railway authorities have suspended certain services for technical and security checks.
Economic implications include potential delays in goods transport through the province, which serves as a vital corridor for regional trade.
**Strategic Angle** The incident highlights persistent challenges in Balochistan despite sustained counter-terrorism efforts by Pakistani security forces. While major operations have dismantled several networks, new tactics by militant groups continue to pose threats.
Analysts suggest that improved intelligence coordination, community engagement, and socio-economic development remain critical to long-term stability in the province. Future attacks may target similar soft spots involving civilian-military overlap.
Authorities have indicated that operations against those involved in the Chaman Phatak blast will continue until the network is fully neutralised. The coming days are expected to bring updates on arrests and further details of the investigation.
The broader question remains how to balance security needs with normalcy for residents of Quetta and surrounding areas amid evolving threats.
