Afghan government spokesperson rejected Afghan Taliban proposal

Shares
Afghan government spokesperson rejected Afghan Taliban proposal

KABUL - Afghan government spokesperson Sediq Sediqqi has said that the Afghan people and the government reject the proposed "reduction in violence" by the Afghan Taliban as an "ambiguous term with no legal or military parameters", reported *Al Jazeera link* .

“Any suggestion the Taliban have shared with the US must include ceasefire as it is the demand of our people," Sediqqi said while addressing a news conference in Kabul on Saturday.

Sediqqi said talks are underway between US special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad’s team and the Taliban negotiators, but there had been "no progress so far," referring specifically to discussions about a ceasefire or reduction in violence, *TOLO link* news reported.

The spokesperson said that ending the war and bringing peace to the country are priorities of the government of Afghanistan and “the president and the people of Afghanistan have always insisted on a ceasefire.”

Sediqqi reiterated that the people should see a ceasefire because it is the "most important demand of Afghans."

More from this category