ISLAMABAD: Minister for Interior and Narcotics Control Chaudhary Nisar Ali Khan on Saturday said total 353,085 Computerized National Identity Cards (CNICs) had been blocked so far and 178,891 of which were being unblocked temporarily for 60 days while the remaining 174,084 of foreigners were cancelled.
Addressing a press conference here, he said the decision was taken in light of the recommendations of the parliamentary committee constituted to review CINCs blocking issue.
He said those people, whose CNICs were being temporarily unblocked, would have to provide documentary evidence about their Pakistani nationality within 60 days.
The evidentiary proof to establish that the holder of an unblocked CINC was a Pakistani national, could be family record from revenue department, land record before 1978, domicile, education certificate, passport, national identity card, weapon or driving licence and service record of his or his family members, he added.
He said the holders of blocked CNICs could also file appeals if they had any valid documentary evidence of being Pakistani nationals.
He said some 3,640 CNICs were also returned voluntarily by foreigners.
The minister said the issue of blocked CNICs should not be politicized as it was an issue of Pakistani nationality.
The process for CNICs verification was initiated to remove anomalies in the systenm as Pakistan was waging a war against terror.
He urged the politicians to unite people on national issues like that of CNICs verification.
An across the board scrutiny of CNICs was underway as evident from the fact that CNICs of some 125,000 non-Pashtun persons had also been blocked so far, he added.
Regarding passports, the minister said so far 33,025 passports, including around 32,000 issued to the Afghan nationals, were cancelled.
Nisar said the government had decided to re-launch Pakistan Origin Card with a new name as Temporary Residence Card.
He said one year visa would be issued to any foreigner woman married to a Pakistani national, which would be extended to five years more subject to security clearness.
He said international non-governmental organizations (INGOs) would be allowed to continue their work after registration and fulfilling codal formalities of the interior ministry.
Over 100 INGOs, he said, had been working in the country for the past 12 years without any permission from the government.
Now 62 INGOs had been registered while around 130 applications were received for registration, he added. (APP)