China has slammed a decision by the United States to restrict visas for Chinese officials whom Washington says are involved in rights violations against Muslim minorities in the far-western region of Xinjiang, calling on the US to withdraw the measure.
The US is “disregarding the facts, slandering and smearing China on Xinjiang-related issues,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said at a regular press conference on Wednesday.
The Chinese official added that the US move was guided by “sinister intentions” and was “completely futile.”
The US has previously accused China of human rights violations regarding its treatment of the Uighur community in Xinjiang.
Earlier this week, Washington also imposed sanctions against 28 Chinese entities in response to the alleged repression of Muslim minorities.
China has said those sanctions violate its sovereign security and has pledged to take counteraction.