FIR registered against 3 CTD Karachi officials

FIR registered against 3 CTD Karachi officials

Three officials from the Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) in Karachi find themselves under arrest, facing allegations of "corrupt practices" and the wrongful detention of a trader from Punjab. This troubling development comes from a senior CTD official, Karachi CTD SSP (Investigation) Bashir Ahmed Brohi. The accusations against these officials revolve around their apprehension of the trader, whom they accused of involvement in terror financing and Hawal/Hundi business, allegedly aiming to extort money from him.

Upon receiving information about this incident, immediate action was taken to secure the trader's release and apprehend the suspects responsible. It is worth noting that the trader has since been released from detention. Additionally, a case has been officially registered against the accused officials based on a complaint filed by the trader's cousin. Legal proceedings have been set in motion to address this matter.

The first information report (FIR) was filed at the Karachi CTD police station in the south district and invokes Sections 34 (pertaining to common intention) and 342 (related to the punishment for wrongful confinement) of the Pakistan Penal Code. The FIR, a document available for reference on, details the complainant's account of the incident. According to the complaint, the trader, Mohammad Waqas, had traveled to Karachi for business purposes with his cousin when he mysteriously disappeared around 9 a.m. on a Saturday. His mobile phone was turned off during this time, adding to the family's concerns.

Desperate to locate Waqas, the complainant visited the CTD Civil Lines police station, where he encountered Station House Officer (SHO) Inspector Khawaja Imdad Ali. The SHO inquired about Waqas's whereabouts from his staff, but there was no record of his detention at the police station. After a search, Waqas was finally found in an assistant sub-inspector's (ASI) room at 2:30 p.m., further raising suspicions regarding his wrongful confinement.

The FIR explicitly states that the ASI, accompanied by two constables, had unlawfully detained Waqas, prompting the complainant to demand legal action against these suspects. This situation underscores the need for a thorough investigation and the pursuit of justice in what appears to be a troubling case of abuse of power and wrongful detention by CTD officials.