US top military commander insists not involved in Turkey military coup

US top military commander insists not involved in Turkey military coup
Shares

WASHINGTON (APP) - A top military chief and other officials have insisted that the United States was not involved in the attempted military coup in Turkey , underscoring tense relations between the allies.

Long-standing partners in NATO and officially fighting side-by-side against the Islamic State group in Syria and Iraq, the US and Turkey have endured severe strains in recent months that were aggravated by the foiled coup in mid-July.

The commander of US forces in the Middle East, General Joseph Votel, issued a statement Friday asserting that he had no link to the coup attempt in Turkey , an unusual move by one of the highest-ranked US military leaders.

"Any reporting that I had anything to do with the recent unsuccessful coup attempt in Turkey is unfortunate and completely inaccurate," Votel said.

"Turkey has been an extraordinary and vital partner in the region for many years. We appreciate Turkey 's continuing cooperation and look forward to our future partnership in the counter-ISIL fight," the general said, referring to the Islamic State group.

Votel's comments came after Turkey 's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan earlier in the day directly linked him to the overthrow attempt.

President Barack Obama 's administration also weighed in, with White House spokesman Eric Schultz saying of Erdogan's accusation: "It is entirely false."

Obama considers Erdogan "a close ally," the spokesman said.

"We work together on a number of the president's international priorities" including the fight against the Islamic State, he added.

More from this category