WorldBeijing- China hits back at G7 statement over South China Sea
BEIJING: China is “strongly dissatisfied” with the mention of the East and South China Sea issues in a Group of Seven [G7] statement, and the G7 allies should stop making irresponsible remarks, a Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson said.
China is committed to properly resolving disputes with all nations involved through negotiations while maintaining peace and stability in the East China Sea and South China Sea, spokesperson Lu Kang said in a statement on Sunday.
Disharmony at G7 as Trump plays his own tune
China hopes the G7 and other nations would refrain from taking positions, fully respect the efforts of countries in the region in handling the disputes, and stop making irresponsible remarks, Lu said.
In their communique on Saturday, G7 leaders said they were concerned by the situation in the South China Sea and East China Sea. They also called for a demilitarization of “disputed features”.
China has a dispute with Japan over a group of uninhabited islets in the East China Sea.
Beijing’s extensive claims to the South China Sea are also challenged by Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, as well as Taiwan.
The United States has criticised China’s construction of islands and build-up of military facilities in the South China Sea, concerned they could be used to restrict free movement and broaden Beijing’s strategic reach.
G7 finance chiefs meet as Trump trade doubts linger
Earlier this week, a US navy warship conducted a so-called freedom-of-navigation drill near Mischief Reef in the disputed Spratly Islands. The maneuver, the first under the Trump administration, prompted an angry response from Beijing.
The G7 consists of the United States, France, Canada, Germany, Great Britain, Italy and Japan.