Afghan Taliban attack US Military convoy in Afghanistan
ISLAMABAD - The Taliban militant group has carried out a bomb attack against an American convoy in Afghanistan’s northern Kunduz Province, killing a US soldier, only weeks after the two sides restarted stalled peace negotiations.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told the AFP that the militants “blew up an American vehicle in Char Dara district of Kunduz” overnight on Sunday.
“Several” other US troops and Afghan forces were also injured in the attack, Mujahid claimed.
The US military also confirmed in a statement that an American service member had been “killed in action,” without elaborating on the conditions of his death and his identity.
Reuters said the Taliban had posted photographs of a blood-soaked backpack and the identity card of a US soldier as proof of his death.
The attack is likely to affect the Taliban-US talks, which resumed link in Doha, Qatar, early in December. The renewed discussions were put on a “pause” for a few days following yet another bomb attack targeting Bagram Air Base north of the Afghan capital, Kabul, but later started again.
In September, the peace process in Doha came to a halt, with President Donald Trump declaring the talks with Taliban “dead” after the militant group killed a US soldier in a Kabul bombing.