NEW DELHI - Commanding-in-Chief of the Indian Army 's Northern Command, Lieutenant General Ranbir Singh on Monday has once again boasted that the first surgical strike was carried out by India in September 2016.
Citing an RTI reply by Director General of Military Operations (DGMO), Indian Army , Singh said that the first surgical strike by armed forces took place in September 2016, to avenge the Uri garrison attack, in which 19 soldiers were killed.
"A few days ago, DGMO said in a reply to an RTI that the first surgical strike happened in September 2016. I don't want to go into what political parties say, they will be given an answer by the government. What I have told you is a statement of fact," Lt General Singh said at a press conference.
Singh was addressing a press conference in which he was asked about Congress' claims of conducting six surgical strikes during the UPA regime.
Congress leader Rajiv Shukla had earlier told reporters at the AICC briefing that six surgical strikes were conducted during Manmohan Singh government.