Shahbaz Sharif finally breaks silence over allegations of stealing earthquake victim funds
LAHORE: Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly Shehbaz Sharif finally breaks silence over allegations of stealing earthquake victim funds.
Sharif on Saturday said he considers stealing from earthquake victims the same as "feeding on corpses", as he responded to allegations levelled against him in a British newspaper.
Earlier this week, UK newspaper the Mail on Sunday had published an investigative story alleging that Shehbaz Sharif, the president of the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), had stolen funds from the UK's Department for International Development (DFID) meant as aid for earthquake victims in Pakistan.
The PML-N president appeared in an accountability court in Lahore for the hearing of the Ramzan Sugar Mills corruption case.
Strict security arrangements were in place and a heavy contingent of police present outside the accountability court where a large number of PML-N activists had arrived for the hearing.
Speaking in the court, the PML-N president said that his son Hamza Shehbaz was in the custody of the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) and that the anti-graft body had to produce him in court.