New developments in Sheikh Rasheed arrest case

New developments in Sheikh Rasheed arrest case

In Rawalpindi, the Lahore High Court (LHC) has requested responses from the Rawalpindi Inspector General of Police (IGP), Chief Police Officer (CPO), and Deputy Commissioner regarding the arrest of Sheikh Rashid, an ally of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf party.

Justice Sadaqat Ali Khan of the LHC's Rawalpindi bench considered the plea challenging Rashid's detention. The petitioner's legal representative informed the LHC that despite being detained two days ago, Rashid has not been presented before any court.

The lawyer pointed out that there are no registered cases against the seasoned politician either in the federal capital or in Punjab. The counsel argued that this detention is unlawful and amounts to abduction, urging the court to instruct Rashid's appearance before it.

The court instructed the counsel to await replies from the relevant officials before further proceedings in the case. The court has asked for responses from these officials by September 22 and has also issued a notice to the assistant advocate general.

The hearing was adjourned. Regarding Rashid's "arrest," he was taken into custody when purported Rawalpindi Police personnel and plainclothes officials raided his residence on the outskirts of Islamabad on Sunday, September 17. Sources within the police initially confirmed the arrest, stating that Rashid was subsequently moved from Islamabad to Rawalpindi with heightened security.

However, the Rawalpindi Police later denied the arrest, claiming Rashid was not in their custody. Subsequently, Rashid's lawyer, Sardar Abdul Razzaq, released a video statement confirming that Rawalpindi Police had indeed detained his client from his residence in the Lohi Bher area.

The operation was led by Rawalpindi’s Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Operation Faisal Suleman, with several police officers involved in the raid. They arrested Sheikh Rashid, his nephew Sheikh Shakir, employee Sheikh Imran, and driver Sajjad, transferring them to an undisclosed location.

Following the hearing on Tuesday, Rashid's lawyer updated the media, stating that Rashid's driver, Sajjad, had returned home the previous night, and his motorcycle was recovered. However, Rashid, his nephew, and his employee are still missing, according to the lawyer.