London metro station attack responsibility claimed

London metro station attack responsibility claimed
Shares
LONDON : Daesh has taken the responsibility of the home-made bomb which exploded on a packed rush-hour commuter train in London injuring 22 people on Friday, in what was being treated as the fifth terrorism attack in Britain this year.

Passengers on board a train heading into the capital fled as fire engulfed a carriage at Parsons Green underground station in West London after the explosion at 8:20 am.

Some suffered burns while others were injured in a stampede to escape. 

The National Health Service said 22 people had been taken to London hospitals. 

None were thought to be in a serious condition, the ambulance service said.

"We now assess that this was a detonation of an improvised explosive device (IED)," Britain's top counter-terrorism officer Mark Rowley told reporters. 

He noted most of the injuries were thought to be flash burns.

Rowley declined to answer whether the authorities knew who was responsible or if the suspected bomber had been on the train, saying it was a live investigation being assisted by the intelligence services.

Pictures taken at the scene showed a white bucket with a supermarket freezer bag on the floor of one train carriage. 

The bucket was in flames and there appeared to be wires coming out of the top.

"My thoughts are with those injured at Parsons Green and the emergency services who, once again, are responding swiftly and bravely to a suspected terrorist incident," British Prime Minister Theresa May said.

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said people should "keep calm" and continue their lives as normal.

"Another attack in London by a loser terrorist," US President Donald Trump said on Twitter. 

"These are sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard. Must be proactive!"

More from this category