Turkey strongly responds back to the Arab League statement against Ankara
ANKARA –Turkey strongly responds back to the Arab League statement against Ankara over Syria war.
Turkey has strongly condemned the Arab League’s statement, which slammed Ankara’s ongoing operation in northern Syria, Communications Director at the Turkish Presidential Administration Fahrettin Altun said.
“I strongly condemn the Arab League for mischaracterizing Turkey’s counter-terrorism operation in northeastern Syria as an ‘invasion’ in a statement issued earlier today”, Altun wrote on his Twitter page.
From his point of view, the statement of the organization was not reflecting the position of the Arab world.
"We can only take pride in the fact that governments, which did not mind the terrorist organization [Kurdistan Workers’ Party] PKK’s occupation of a predominantly Arab area, the displacement of Arab civilians from their lands, or the destruction of Arab villages, are unsettled by #OperationPeaceSpring”, Altun added.
On Saturday, the secretary-general of the Arab League, Ahmed Aboul Gheit, called on Turkey to immediately halt the military operation against the northern Syrian Kurdish units and withdraw troops from the territory of the war-torn Arab republic.
The organization’s statement said that the member states agreed to consider measures of political and economic nature against Turkey over what they called an invasion.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced earlier this week the launch of a military offensive link in northern Syria against the Daesh terrorist organization and the Kurdish-led forces, which Ankara designates as terrorists.