Malaysian PM Mahathir Mohammad lashes out at US President Donald Trump
ISLAMABAD – Malaysian PM Mahathir Mohammad lashes out at US President Donald Trump.
Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad termed the US President Donald Trump’s Middle East Plan as “utterly unacceptable” and “grossly unjust”.
According to Bloomberg, the plan, dubbed the “Deal of the Century” by Trump, hands the holy city of Jerusalem on a silver platter to Israel in absolute disregard for the feelings of millions of Muslims and Christians worldwide, Mahathir said in a speech in Kuala Lumpur on Saturday.
“This deal will only bring more conflict to the region, and will antagonize billions of people around the world,” Mahathir said at the third conference of The League of Parliamentarians for Al-Quds.
Trump unveiled his proposal at a White House event last month alongside Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Palestinian officials weren’t consulted on the proposal.
The White House approach leading to the plan has long been criticized internationally for providing Israel with quick wins while making concessions to the Palestinians contingent on a list of milestones.
Trump’s actions since taking office -- including moving the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem and recognizing Israeli sovereignty of the Golan Heights -- has largely benefited Israel while giving little to the Palestinians, who said the U.S. had given up its decades-long role as a credible mediator in the peace process.