Human Rights Organisations under attack In Indian Occupied Kashmir

Human Rights Organisations under attack In Indian Occupied Kashmir


On Nov. 26, Muhammad Saleem, 27, a school teacher was checking examination papers of his students when he heard gunfire. It had been years since the last firing incident had occurred in Aban Shah, a semi-urban locality in the outskirts of Srinagar – the capital of Indian Occupied Kashmir.

An hour later, people, who started coming out of their homes learned that two Indian soldiers were shot dead by militants, who later released a video claiming the attack.

A day later around midnight, 35 masked soldiers form a nearby security camp detained 35 men, including Saleem

About midnight the next day, a large group of masked soldiers from a nearby camp arrested 35 men, including Saleem from their homes. They were ordered to the camp and beaten ruthlessly with polycarbonate sticks. The soldiers were repeatedly asking them to reveal the identity of militants.

A local hospital confirmed the physical assault on Salim, who has been prescribed complete bed rest. Fearing another bout of beating by soldiers, he had shifted to a relative’s home.

Sitting beside him was his 20-year-old brother, Adil, who has his right wrist plastered. A student of agriculture sciences, Adil is worried whether he can sit in his second-semester examination beginning Dec. 15. Doctors have recommended plaster for two weeks ending this Sunday.

Speaking to Anadolu Agency, a shopkeeper, Altaf Ahmad, said he was trying to save his seven-year-old nephew when he heard fire shots. Showing baton marks on his body, he asked when one is battling for his own life, how can you know who is fining the shots?

A 19-year-old boy who works at a bakery is still nursing injuries at home. His impoverished father, Abdul Samad, is ruing not only as the job day was lost, but also expenses he had to incur on the treatment. On the request of victims, their names have been changed in the report.

*Army rejects allegations*

The army in a statement described allegations of beating as “fabricated”. Despite contacting Col. Rajesh Kalia, spokesman of the Indian army in Srinagar did not respond to Anadolu Agency’s queries.

“You think out of blue my brother grew a plaster and I decided to wear a black belt? I haven’t even checked those,” he said, pointing to a stack of notebooks and answer sheets, which he was checking when the incident of firing took place.

The residents of Aban Shah have resigned to their fate. None has filed any complaint with the police, as they believe none would be punished.

“Don’t we know what happened to the thousands of inquiries the government ordered into countless incidents of human rights violations for the past three decades,” said Samad. - Anadolu Agency