Afghanistan endgame peace plan faces yet another setback
KABUL - Afghanistan endgame peace plan faces yet another setback as the crucial intra Afghan meeting in China is likely to be cancelled yet again.
Amid reports of disagreements over the list of the participants for the Beijing peace meeting on Afghanistan , the Afghan Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Sunday said that it expects the plan for such a meeting to be implemented in the near future.
When asked whether the meeting was cancelled, Geran Hewad, a spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said that Kabul was not aware of such reports, TOLO News has reported.
“So far, we have not received any official conversation from the Chinese government that this meeting will not be held, and it was a proposal by the Chinese government to host this process for the intra-Afghan dialogue, so we are awaiting them to implement their proposal,” said Hewad.
Meanwhile, Mujiburrahman Rahimi, a spokesman for Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah, said that at this stage the Afghan people are focusing more on the outcome of the elections rather than the peace process.
“So far no practical measure has been taken regarding any serious intra-Afghan negotiation. You are well aware that the main focus of the government and the people of Afghanistan is on the election rather than the peace,” said Rahimi.
Nevertheless, lawmakers in Afghanistan’s parliament have said that the role of the Afghan government in any peace process is critical.