Trump calls off Pompeo's planned trip to North Korea

Trump calls off Pompeo's planned trip to North Korea
Shares

WASHINGTON: U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday canceled Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s planned trip to North Korea for renewed negotiations to persuade it to abandon its nuclear weapons, citing insufficient progress on the issue.

It was a dramatic shift of tone for Trump, who had previously hailed his June summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as a success and said the North Korean nuclear threat was over.

“I have asked Secretary of State Mike Pompeo not to go to North Korea , at this time, because I feel we are not making sufficient progress with respect to the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula,” Trump said on Twitter.

 APP

More from this category