KABUL- The Afghan Ministry of Defense (MoD) said on Wednesday it will bring widespread changes to its war management procedures that will be relevant to this year’s fighting season, TOLO News has reported.
This comes after the Taliban announced the launch of their spring offensive earlier in the day.
The deputy army chief of staff Brigadier General Abdul Hameed Hameed said the reforms will be applied to the new war season.
Speaking at the graduation ceremony of 620 commando cadets in Kabul on Wednesday, Hameed called on the Taliban to take up government’s offer and join the peace process.
“If they are Muslim they will want peace. We call on them to embrace peace,” he said.
However, problems with the management of the war has been an issue in the past few years.
“The commandos and special operations require team work. Never think about your own (during your missions),” said Brigadier General Bismillah Waziri, the commander of a Commando Unit.
On Wednesday, the Taliban issued a statement to say it launched its spring offensive, “al-Khandaq”, on Wednesday, April 25.
The group said this offensive had been organized by the Military Commission of the Taliban, and would focus on “American invaders” and their supporters.