US Forces casualties in Afghanistan since 2001 crosses 2300 with the latest suicidal attack in Kabul

Shares

KABUL: Six American troops were killed in Afghanistan on Monday when a suicide bomber on a motorbike struck their patrol near Bagram air base, officials said, the deadliest attack on U.S. forces this year. U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter, who stopped briefly at Bagram on Friday, said the deaths were a "painful reminder" of the dangers still faced by U.S. troops in Afghanistan long after fighting has largely shifted to local forces. Just last week, the Pentagon warned of deteriorating security in Afghanistan and assessed the performance of Afghan security forces as "uneven and mixed." The Taliban , which claimed responsibility for the strike, remains resilient 14 years after the start of U.S. military engagement in Afghanistan . It has ramped up its attacks this year, inflicting heavier casualties on Afghan security forces. More than 2,300 U.S. troops have died in the Afghan war since the 2001 invasion, but the pace of U.S. deaths has fallen off sharply since the end of formal U.S. combat and a drawdown of American forces.(Afghanistan News)

Latest News