The number of migrants trying to reach Europe through the Mediterranean will remain high this year, with more expected to arrive through Spain, the head of European Union border agency Frontex warned Tuesday.
Fabrice Leggeri told reporters that "the irregular migration pressure on the southern borders in the Mediterranean will remain at a very high level."
He said that "especially the western Mediterranean route is under scrutiny." About 21,000 unauthorized migrants - mostly from Morocco, Algeria and Guinea - entered Spain that way in 2017.
Leggeri said overall numbers have decreased since 2015, when 1.8 million people entered Europe, but migrants are finding new ways to cross borders, and forged documents are a major challenge.
Crossings into Greece are down 80 percent from last year, but he said "the pressure remains at a high level." (AP)