Former President Pervaiz Musharraf breaks silence over issue of treason trial
ISLAMABAD - Former president Pervez Musharraf has broken silence over the issue of the treason trial.
He on Monday sought presidential-level security to appear before a special court hearing treason case against him.
As a two-member special court took up the high treason case against former military ruler, his lawyer Akhtar Shah told the court that his client wanted to appear before court but on assurances that he would be given presidential security by the Defence Ministry.
“Musharraf’s life is in danger. There had been two attempts on his life: once in the Islamabad court and the other in Quetta during the Akbar Bugti case hearing, Akhtar Shah contended.
At this, Justice Nazar Akbar said: “There is a non-bailable warrant out against Musharraf, so to provide him security is the government’s responsibility.”
The former president is facing high treason charges for suspending the constitution on Nov 3, 2007 – an offence for which he was indicted by the special court on March 31, 2014. That same year, the state prosecution laid down all its evidence but the progress in the case slowed down due to the former military ruler having filed multiple petitions against his trial at the appellate forum.
In March 2016, he left the country for Dubai to “seek medical treatment” and hasn’t returned since.