Afghan Taliban break silence over next round of crucial talks with US in Qatar
In an interview with AFP, the Taliban’s political spokesman Suhail Shaheen said previous negotiations with Washington saw the two sides agree to a total withdrawal, with only the details needing to be fleshed out.
“In our last round of talks with the US side, we agreed with them on withdrawal of all foreign forces from Afghanistan,” Shaheen said late Saturday in Doha.
“But still there are some details to be discussed, and this discussion will take place in our next round of talks and that is about (the) timetable of the withdrawal of forces from the country and other details,” Shaheen said.
The next round of talks is expected to take place in Doha in the coming weeks, but no dates have been formally announced.
US special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad, who is leading the talks for Washington, said after the latest round ended that “real strides” had been made, but he insisted no agreement was reached on when the US and other countries might leave Afghanistan.
He spoke of an agreement “in draft” on the issues of counter-terrorism, assurances from the Taliban and troop withdrawal, and suggested the next phases would be intra-Afghan dialogue and a ceasefire, but stressed that nothing was finalised.
Khalilzad has also said that “nothing is agreed to until everything has been agreed to.” - APP/AFP