KABUL - The mass grave of at least nine people who were executed by the ISIS militants more than a year ago has been discovered in eastern Nangarhar province of Afghanistan .
Provincial governor’s spokesman Atauallah Khogyani said the mass grave was discovered from the vicinity of the Achin district.
He said the militants affiliated with the ISIS terrorist group abducted a group of twelve people nearly one and half years ago executed nine of them shortly after they were kidnapped.
Khogyani further added that the mass grave of the nine hostages executed by the ISIS militants were recovered from Mamand area of Achin on Sunday.
The anti-government armed militant and terrorist groups including the ISIS terrorist group has not commented regarding the report so far.
In the meantime, reports indicate that the hostages were the local tribal elders who were rounded up by the ISIS militants on unknown charges.
Nangarhar is among the relatively calm provinces in the East of the country but the anti-government armed militants including the Taliban and ISIS insurgents have been attempting during the recent years to expand their foothold in some remote districts of the province.
However, the Afghan forces are regularly conducting operations together with the US forces who are mainly carrying out airstrikes to root out the terrorists from this province.