Afghan government responds to reports of Chinese Military Base
KABUL: The Afghan government on Saturday denied discussing the establishment of a Chinese military base in northeastern Afghanistan rejecting rumors and media reports in this regard.
“The issue of a Chinese military presence has not been discussed yet”, a statement from the National Security Council (NSC) said.
“Through media and colleagues, we want to make it clear that military cooperation with foreign countries cannot happen without its approval by NSC and ratification by the parliament,” the statement said.
Relations between Kabul and Beijing have different dimensions, but the issue of Chinese troops’ presences has not yet been discussed, the statement added.
Reports had been circulating in the media recently past China plans to help build a base for a brigade of troops in northeastern Badakhshan province to prevent militants from sneaking into China.
Beijing also denied last month it was planning to construct a military base in Afghanistan, calling the reports as ‘groundless.’
Recently Afghan Defence Minister Gen. Bahrami visited China and demanded support for Afghan forces in Badakhshan. .
NATO <link> Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg had also said that any decision about a China military base lied with the Afghan government and it was up to them to decide in this regard.