NATO rejects reports about direct negotiations with Taliban
KABUL: The NATO-led Resolute Support mission in Afghanistan, Tuesday rejected reports its commander General John Nicholson had said United States was ready to join direct negotiations with the Taliban.
In a statement, it referred to reports in which Nicholson reiterated comments by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on the possibility of talks with Taliban involving the United States.
Nicholson said United States is not a substitute for the Afghan people or the Afghan government.
The remarks come amid growing speculation about moves to open talks with Taliban following an unprecedented three-day ceasefire during last month’s Eid holiday. (Reuters)