SRINAGAR - Indian army top general of Jammu and Kashmir on Wednesday refused to accept the contention that a security lapse led to last week’s suicide attack on an army camp in Jammu and said it was an attempt by Pakistan.
General officer commanding-in-chief, Northern Command, Lt Gen D Anbu, who was presenting gallantry awards in Udhampur, told reporters that the army is continuing with its “pro-active” strategy in the aftermath of the 2016 terror attack in which 17 soldiers died when militants stormed the brigade headquarters at Uri in North Kashmir .
The army commander of the strategically-important Northern Command, which looks after the borders from Ladakh to Jammu, maintained that the force would continue with its endeavour of ensuring zero infiltration.
“Infiltration does take place. We endeavour to ensure zero infiltration that is our job and we put our best effort,” he said.
According to the officer, there was considerable reduction in infiltration, but the number of attempts almost doubled in 2007 compared to the previous year.
“Pakistan is directly involved in insurgency in Jammu and Kashmir , as without its support, training and strategy, insurgency would not have lasted so long,” he said after presenting the awards.
The general also said militants were always present at the camps and launching pads across the border to be pushed into India.