Protest continue in Kasur over rape, killing of minor

Protest continue in Kasur over rape, killing of minor

KASUR: Life in and around Kasur came to a grinding halt as protests by a mob angered over the recent rape and murder of a 7-year-old girl continued for the second day on Thursday.

The violence which erupted in the city of Kasur after the rape and murder of an seven-year-old Zainab continued on the second day.

The agitating protesters blocked the entry and exit routes of the city, while heavy contingent of police have been deployed inside the government buildings to avoid any untoward situation.

The markets, business centers and educational institutions are closed in the city.

The lawyers have also boycotted judicial proceedings on the appeal of Punjab Bar Council over the incident demanded the arrest of the culprits.

On Wednesday, demonstrators armed with sticks and stones tried to stormed the deputy commissioner’s office during protests over the girl’s death. Two people died of gunshot wounds after the police opened fire on the protestors and several others were injured. Footage on television showed policemen firing directly at the mob before being told by their superiors to fire in the air.

The body of the minor girl was recovered from a garbage heap, with reports she was raped multiple times before being strangled.

Her death also kicked off a social media campaign where citizens expressed outrage for government apathy towards repeated cases of child abuse in the country. Activists on social media have condemned the government for failing to arrest those involved in the crime.

The Punjab provincial government took notice of the incident and ordered the arrest of the perpetrators.

Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Mian Saqib Nisar and Army Chief Gen Qamar Bajwa have taken serious notice of the tragic incident and vowed immediate justice to the parents of the deceased girl.

Soon after, CJP, Army Chief and Chief Minister Punjab Shehbaz Sharif took notice of policemen accused of firing and District Police Officer (DPO) Kasur was removed from his position pending an investigation on the police fire.

Taking notice of the heart wrenching incident, Chief Justice of Pakistan, Mian Saqib Nisar sought a report from the Inspector General of Police, Punjab, within 24 hours.

Chief of Army Staff Gen Qamar Bajwa condemned the “cold-blooded murder” and directed immediate “support to the civil administration to arrest the criminals and bring them to justice”, the army’s media wing said.