Afghan Taliban break silence over the peace deal after series of deadly attacks across the country

Shares
Afghan Taliban break silence over the peace deal after series of deadly attacks across the country

PESHAWAR: Afghan Taliban break silence over the peace deal after series of deadly attacks across the country.

After a couple of deadly attacks in the last week, the Afghan Taliban said they would abide by the peace agreement reached with the United States in Doha on February 29.

Senior Taliban members said they would avoid targeting the Afghan security forces and their installations in major cities and populated areas after they their ‘reduction in violence’ (RIV) pact with the Afghan government last week, The News has reported.

They maintained that though they were not bound to spare the Afghan security forces and their installations, they had principally decided not to attack them in major cities and other populated areas.

The statement comes after a series of attacks on Afghan forces last week and an announcement by US expressing confidence in Taliban to deliver on the landmark agreement to end the war.

“This is what we had committed in the peace accord that we would not carry out attacks in cities and other populated areas of Afghanistan. Also, we decided not to attack even the Afghan forces in cities but would be free to target them in rural areas,” said one senior Taliban leader.