KARACHI: Pakistan Cricket Board has got a big boost in the International Cricket Council against India.
The 2019-2023 Future Tours Programme (FTP) of the International Cricket Council (ICC) has been put on hold pending the case regarding the bilateral series between Pakistan and India which is to be decided by the world governing body’s dispute resolution committee, PCB chairman Najam Sethi said on Tuesday.
“The proceedings in the case have started. Recently, the ICC dispute resolution committee has asked for witnesses [in the case] from both the sides who were involved in signing the MoU [in 2014] for six bilateral series during the 2015-2023 cycle. From the Pakistan side, I am the witness.
The very important thing is that the entire FTP [drafted late last year] has been put on hold due to this case. It is significant to recall that we signed the FTP subject to the outcome of the dispute,” Sethi said while talking to Dawn here at the National Stadium on Tuesday.
“Two aspects are crucial in this case. First, the dispute resolution committee is to decide whether or not India is liable [legally responsible] for not honouring the MoU signed with the PCB. Second, if it is decided that India is liable, then it has to be decided to what extent it is liable,” he added.
Responding to what impact the case will have on Pakistan’s participation in the 2018 Asia Cup, scheduled to be held in India during September, the PCB chief said the case – purely concerning bilateral series -- has no direct link with the Asia Cup.
Commenting on the Pakistan Super League (PSL) final, to be held at the National Stadium later this month, Sethi urged the Karachiites to make the big game a huge success.