US President Donald Trump faces a worst setback
*WASHINGTON: *A second whistleblower has come forward, this one with first-hand information of the events that triggered an impeachment investigation of President Donald Trump for alleged abuse of power, the informant’s lawyer said on Sunday.
“I can confirm this report of a second #whistleblower being represented by our legal team,” Mark Zaid said on Twitter. “They also made a protected disclosure under the law and cannot be retaliated against. This WBer has first-hand knowledge.”
Earlier on Sunday, Zaid’s co-counsel, Andrew Bakaj, said his firm and team “represent multiple whistle blowers” in the case accusing Trump of using the powers of his office to pressure Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky in a phone call to investigate political rival Joe Biden and his son Hunter.
It was unclear whether Bakaj was using “multiple” to refer to more than two whistle blowers. Typically, several officials would listen in on a call between the president and a foreign leader, while others would have access to a written transcript or summary.
The existence of a whistleblower claiming first-hand knowledge would make it harder for the president and his supporters to dismiss the original complaint as hearsay, as they have repeatedly done.
Trump pushed back at the allegations in two tweets early on Sunday, though he made no mention of the second whistleblower.
He repeated his assertion that Hunter Biden had been “handed $100,000 a month (Plus,Plus) from a Ukrainian based company, even though he had no experience in energy…and separately got 1.5 Billion Dollars from China despite no experience and for no apparent reason.”
He added that as president, “I have an OBLIGATION to look into possible, or probable, CORRUPTION!” -APP/AFP