LAHORE – Punjab Chief Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Thursday sent two legal notices to two private news channels for spreading speculations about his recent visit to Saudi Arabia.
The notices have reportedly been sent o ARY and 92 news through Advocate Mustafa Ramday on behalf of the chief minister.
The notice says the news channels aired fake news accusing the chief minister of corruption. It adds that such news items damaged Shehbaz Sharif’s personality and character.
The notices say legal action will be taken against the channels on not giving response within 14 days.
A number of rumours stirred after former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and Punjab chief minister landed in Saudi Arabia last week, claiming a deal is being cooked in the Arab country.
However, CM Shehbaz has termed all such rumours “baseless” and said that the recent tour was not of political or personal nature.
Shehbaz said he was to visit the country to perform Umrah and this time Saudi authorities hounoured him by sending a special plane for him.
During his visit, Shehbaz Sharif also held a couple of meetings with Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia Mohammad Bin Salman Al Saud, where matters of mutual interest were discussed.
Meanwhile, Punjab government spokesperson Mohammad Ahmed Khan also rejected the rumours regarding Sharif’s visit to Saudi Arabia baseless.
Rumours claimed that Sharif brothers reached the Arab state to strike a NRO like deal in order to avoid corruption cases, improve relations with royal family that deteriorated due to refusing aid against Yemen and for other matters.