Donald Trump threats Iran of Military strikes
WASHINGTON: In response to the latest alleged missile test by Iran, US President Donald Trump has warned Iran that a military option is ‘not off the table’.
President Trump made these remarks while talking to media on Thursday when enquired about whether the US would consider using force to respond to Tehran.
Iran had conducted tests of its medium-range ballistic missiles on January 30. Later, American media reported that fresh sanctions were being considered against Iran.
US House Speaker Paul Ryan said at a news conference on Thursday that the Obama administration had appeased Iran too much and the House was open to the idea of sanctions for Iran.
The missile test had been condemned by Washington, which said that the test undermined security and stability in the Middle East. Trump’s National Security Advisor Michael Flynn said, “We are officially putting Iran on notice.”
The US has claimed that the missile test by Iran violated the UN Security Council Resolution 2231, which called on Iran not to undertake any activity related to ballistic missiles.
On Wednesday, Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan confirmed that Iran did indeed carry out a test of the missile. He said, "The recent test was in line with our plans and we will not allow foreigners to interfere in our defense affair. The test did not violate the nuclear deal or (UN) Resolution 2231.”
Tehran dismissed Trump’s threats saying. Iran’s Foreign Policy Advisor to the Supreme Leader, Akbar Velayati said, ”The American government will understand that threatening Iran is useless.”