WASHINGTON – In a fresh and harsh move, the Trump administration has held back previously promised military aid of $255 million to Pakistan by attaching it with elimination of alleged safe havens of terrorists in the country.
According to State Department, the new restrictions will allow it to review the level of its cooperation with Islamabad before making new commitments.
‘The Department notified Congress on August 30 of our intent to obligate $255 million in FY 2016 Foreign Military Financing for Pakistan. At the same time, the Department is placing a pause on spending those funds and on allocating them to any specific FMF sales contracts,’ said the State Department in a statement.
The significance of said fund, FMF can be gauged fom the fact that it provides grants and loans to assist countries purchase US weapons and defence equipment and for acquiring defence services and military training in the United States.
The state department revealed that the decision was consistent with the new South Asian policy which would give leverage to Trump-led America to review level of cooperation with Pakistan prior to committing new security assistance resources.