AC decides to record Nawaz's statement in presence of his counsel in Al-Azizia reference

AC decides to record Nawaz's statement in presence of his counsel in Al-Azizia reference
Shares

ISLAMABAD: The Accountability Court-II (AC) of Islamabad decided to record the statement of former prime minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif in the Al-Azizia Steel Mills case.

AC Judge Arshad Malik, however, made it conditional to the presence of Nawaz's counsel Khawaja Haris in the court on the latter's request.

The reference has been filed by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) against Nawaz Sharif , who appeared before the court and later left with the court's permission.

During the course of proceedings, Khawaja Haris objected to recording of Nawaz's statement under section 342, saying that as to the prosecution side was showing haste in that regard. He, however, requested the court to record the statement of the accused in his presence, which was accepted.

The defence counsel also prayed the court to give the questionnaire to his client before his appearance for recording of the statement , but it was opposed by the NAB prosecutor.

Deputy Prosecutor General (DPG) Sardar Muzafar Abbasi said the hearing in the three references against the accused had been proceeded in same pace.

Meanwhile, Haris continued his cross-examination of joint investigation team head Wajid Zia in the Flagship Investment case for eighth day.

Zia informed the court that all the witnesses had agreed on the facts that the Gulf Steel Mills was established during 1973-74, it was named as Ahli Steel Mills after sale of 75% shares in 1978 and its remaining 25% shares were sold in 1980.

APP

More from this category